Tyson Fury To Face Arslanbek Makhmudov Without Trainer – Arise News

0

Tyson Fury To Face Arslanbek Makhmudov Without Trainer – Arise News

Tyson Fury has revealed he will take on hard-hitting contender Arslanbek Makhmudov on April 11 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London without a boxing trainer in his corner, describing himself as a “one-man army.”

Fury, who briefly retired at the start of last year, returned to training camp in Thailand in December to prepare for his comeback fight. The British heavyweight insisted he does not need a coach to guide him through the bout.

“I’m a one-man army. I train myself like Clubber Lang,” Fury told Sky Sports, referring to the fictional antagonist from Rocky III.

The 35-year-old has previously enjoyed a successful partnership with renowned trainer SugarHill Steward. With Steward in his corner, Fury regained the world heavyweight title, beating Deontay Wilder twice and successfully defending against Dillian Whyte and Derek Chisora.

However, he lost his WBC belt to Oleksandr Usyk in an undisputed title fight and failed to claim revenge in their rematch in 2024.

Fury stressed that he will be entirely self-reliant in his preparation for Makhmudov, a seasoned heavyweight boasting a knockout ratio exceeding 90 per cent.

“Nobody,” Fury said when asked if he would bring a trainer. “I’ll find what’s best. As long as somebody gives me a drink, smear of Vaseline in between rounds, I’ll be alright. The rest will take care of itself, 100 percent.”

Although boxing has seen fighters occasionally ignore advice from trainers, it is virtually unprecedented for a major heavyweight bout to proceed without a coach.

Fury revealed a new dynamic in his camp: training alongside his sons. “It’s a surreal moment to have the boys there training with me,” he said. “It feels like just the other day I was that age, wanting to be a boxer and starting off in my career.

Now they’re in that position and training every day and enjoying it as well as I was. I wish them all the luck in the world and I know that if they can dedicate themselves and go on, anything’s possible in life. Because I’ve already done it and proved it can be done.”

The Gypsy King said his return is motivated by “the love of the sport and the banter that comes with it.”

“I’ll tell you what I did in my spare time in retirement: I filmed two Netflix things, a biopic documentary of my life that took a long time, then I did a reality TV show, ‘At Home with the Furys’ season two, then I captained England for UNICEF, then I was travelling round on private jets and yachts and family holidays and lovely restaurants. Enjoying myself. But one thing I did see was boxing was dead without me. That’s what I’ve come back for, to make boxing great again.”

Looking ahead, Fury acknowledged the heavyweight division remains open for potential blockbuster bouts, including a rematch with Usyk, a fight against the winner of Fabio Wardley vs Daniel Dubois, or even a future clash with Anthony Joshua.

However, Fury warned that nothing should be taken for granted and hinted he might retire again after Makhmudov. “I can only concentrate on who I’m fighting and that’s Arslanbek Makhmudov, and that’s what I’ve got to do. I’ve got to get him out the way, beat him and then who knows? That might be the end. I might retire again.”

Boluwatife Enome

Follow us on: